Future Fresh Baby Kale
The powerhouse green
Called “baby” for its small leaves, fresh baby kale is tastier and more tender, and easier to use for cooking.
TASTING NOTES FROM THE CURATOR
Fresh baby kale, or leaf cabbage, is a powerhouse of nutrients, packed with anti-oxidants and fiber. It has a chewy and juicy texture, and its flavor is slightly bitter—similar to arugula. Baby kale is also tender enough that it makes it easy to eat raw, but also sturdy enough that it won’t fall apart when being cooked.
PREPARATION AND PAIRINGS
For an easy, healthy snack, try making Crispy Kale Chips:
- Toss your fresh baby kale with olive oil until evenly coated. Arrange the leaves on 1-2 baking sheets (depends how many chips you’re making) lined with aluminum foil.
- Bake them for 25-30 minutes, in a preheated oven at 300F, and only until crisp, not browned. Once you take it out of the oven, immediately sprinkle grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, salt, and a squeeze of lemon. Serve.
Another great way to use leaf cabbage is a Baby Kale Salad:
- Place drained and rinsed chickpeas on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Toss them in olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Roast the chickpeas for 10-12 minutes in a preheated oven at 425F.
- While the chickpeas are in the oven, toss fresh baby kale in a large bowl with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Top salad with crispy roasted chickpeas, and shavings of Parmigiano-Reggiano.
THE FUTURE OF FARMING
Future Fresh is a proudly Filipino venture, created out of frustration for the less than stellar quality of produce found on local supermarket shelves. The company specializes in locally-grown produce, and prides itself on their completely fresh vegetables. This is because they harvest just before dispatch, reducing travel time, and ensuring a longer shelf life.
These gamechangers built farm systems with controlled environment that result in hydroponically-grown, pesticide-free greens. Everything they provide is guaranteed high in quality, high in nutrients, and always completely fresh.
Your fresh produce will be stored in a resealable plastic ziplock bag. You will notice that there is air inside and this maintains a sort of internal atmosphere to keep your fresh produce in good condition.
Once opened, the produce will begin to age. The best way to keep it fresh for longer once opened is to keep it moisture-free.
Future Fresh produce have no wilted leaves or roots that may cause decay, so you need only wash them before cooking or consuming. With produce with high water content, like fresh rocket arugula, you can remove the excess moisture that might accumulate by lining the storage bag with a paper towel and resealing the bag again. Make sure to check on it mid-week, and replace the paper towel once it takes in too much moisture.
Done properly, this method can help your produce last to about a week max after opening of bag.