Airflown Fresh Never Frozen
Unlike Norwegian Atlantic Salmon which are typically farm-bred, Akaroa King Salmon are reared in the wild seas of the Akaroa Harbour in New Zealand. The crème de la crème of salmons, delivered fresh, never frozen to your doorstep by the careful team at The Bow Tie Duck! This is a pre-ordered item, air-flown from New Zealand every other week.
TASTING NOTES FROM THE CURATOR
Hand-fed with a unique diet in pens of 99% water to 1% fish ratio, these king salmons are slowly raised, without any hormones or antibiotics to provide the best culinary experience as close to sea-caught King Salmons possible.
While most salmons (including most Norwegian Atlantic salmons) are farm-bred, Akaroa King Salmon are reared in the seas of New Zealand. Akaroa King salmon is renowned for its fresh and sweet taste, silky texture and devoid of the oily aftertaste typical of farmed salmon. And because our Akaroa salmon is air-flown chilled—not frozen—expect a fresh catch, with a springy when touched with a subtle smell of the sea.
2 variants are offered:
- 350g cut portion
- approx. 1-1.5kg Whole Fillet, Bone out, Skin On
PREPARATION OR PAIRINGS
A premium cut of Akaroa King Salmon can be prepared in endless ways, pan-seared, baked with fresh herbs, a hearty seafood soup, or a beautiful gravlax.
Our go-to dinner preparation is a pan-seared salmon resting on top of silky mashed potatoes and blanched spring beans, garnished with Terre Exotique’s Fleur de Sel Guerande salt for a seasoned crunch. Pair with a Sauvignon Blanc or our Mar de Frades Albarino for a beautiful ending.
THE PREMIER CRU OF KING SALMON
A company committed to rearing superior quality salmons, Akaroa’s simple philosophy of rearing salmons that prioritises the health and welfare of the fish whilst being respectful to the environment have succeeded in making it one of the top artisan producers supplying New Zealand’s best salmons to New Zealand’s best restaurants.
The quality of Akaroa’s sea-reared salmon is of high-quality, with the proof being in its oil content (a high oil content in salmons typically results in an oily aftertaste that masks the flavors of the fish). Farmed salmon have an oil content of around 30%, sea-caught wild King Salmon have around 9%, while Akaroa’s King Salmon have an oil content of only 10%.
The Lifecycle of Ocean-Raised Akaroa King Salmon
- The lifecycle of their salmon starts in the freshwater hatchery located just north of Christchurch. Progeny from their finest hand-selected brood fish are used for production.
- Eggs produced are carefully incubated for one month in the hatchery. Once hatched they grow very quickly in the hatchery’s large outdoor raceways. After 6-9 months in the hatchery their fish are around 50g and ready for transfer to their ocean net pens.
- Their juvenile salmon (called ‘smolt’) are delivered to Wainui wharf where they are then transferred via a long pipe into a waiting pen.
- The adult salmon are then grown in net pens located in Akaroa Harbour at Lucas and Titoki Bay, for around 14-16 months. Each pen is 80m circumference, 10m deep, and designed to blend into the environment.
- The salmon are fed 1-3 times each day using a blower feeder. Feed used is certified sustainable and safe. To minimise wastage, an underwater viewing camera suspended 5m below the surface detects uneaten pellets.
- Nets are cleaned monthly using a robotic net cleaner to minimise algae growth. This ensures good water flow to keep all salmon fit and healthy.
- Once the prized salmon are big enough, they are humanely harvested and delivered to the Christchurch factory.
- The premium salmon are processed and then distributed as chilled fresh and smoked products throughout NZ and abroad.
DISCLAIMER ON AVAILABILITY OF PRE-ORDERED ITEMS
This product is classified as a Pre-Ordered Item at The Bow Tie Duck and will only be available while producer from overseas is able to supply and allow air-flown delivery. The Pre-ordered Akaora Salmon also follows a specific shipment schedule that is every other week as compared to other air-flown items on site that are flown in weekly. Shall there be any delivery delay, delivery cancellation, “out of stock” or even “out of season” notice after purchase, you will be contacted by our Support right away. After which, a refund, product replacement, or a delivery delay will be put forth. Upon choosing to order this product, you agree to the terms and have read that the products are not on-hand and require a waiting period in order receive the freshest produce from directly from source.
Akaroa Salmon are air-flown every other week from New Zealand to your doorstep. Store them in your fridge as soon as received. Best enjoyed within 48 hours for the best experience but can last for up to 5 days as soon as delivered to you on Fridays.