Akaroa Hot Smoked Salmon
Flaky and flavorful
Salmon from Akaroa are always hand-selected and of superior quality, owing to its rearing, which prioritizes not only the health of the fish, but the welfare of the environment.
TASTING NOTES FROM THE CURATOR
Hot smoked salmon is given a wet brine, then smoked at temperatures above 120F. It has a flaky texture, and a deep smoky, subtly salty flavor. It’s incredibly delicious, and so easy to use in a variety of ways.
Available are the ff:
- 180g Portion, Skin On
- 250g Portion, Skin On
- 500g Portion, Skin On
- Approx. 1-1.5kg fillet Portion Skin On
PREPARATION AND PAIRINGS
Hot smoked salmon is great for dips. Take the skin (and any remaining bone) off your salmon, and separate a bit of it to set aside. In a medium bowl, place your salmon, cream cheese, mayonnaise, and thinly sliced scallions. With a spoon or a hand whisk, mix all of the ingredients until creamy, smooth, and pink. Take the salmon you set aside, and gently mix it into your dip for texture. Serve on bread or crackers as snacks or appetizer.
The Akaroa Hot Smoked Salmon is also great for your bagels, in scrambled eggs, salads, pastas, rice bowls, omelets, sandwiches, and canapes. There truly is little limit to what you can do with this delicious and versatile hot smoked salmon.
THE PREMIER CRU OF KING SALMON
A company committed to rearing superior quality salmon, Akaroa’s simple philosophy of rearing salmon that prioritizes the health and welfare of the fish while being respectful to the environment has succeeded in making it one of the top artisan producers supplying New Zealand’s best salmons to New Zealand’s best restaurants.
The quality of Akaroa’s sea-reared salmon is of high-quality, with the proof being in its oil content (a high oil content in salmons typically results in an oily aftertaste that masks the flavors of the fish). Farmed salmon have an oil content of around 30%, sea-caught wild King Salmon have around 9%, while Akaroa’s King Salmon have an oil content of only 10%.
The Lifecycle of Ocean-Raised Akaroa King Salmon
- The lifecycle of their salmon starts in the freshwater hatchery located just north of Christchurch. Progeny from their finest hand-selected brood fish are used for production.
- Eggs produced are carefully incubated for one month in the hatchery. Once hatched they grow very quickly in the hatchery’s large outdoor raceways. After 6-9 months in the hatchery their fish are around 50g and ready for transfer to their ocean net pens.
- Their juvenile salmon (called ‘smolt’) are delivered to Wainui wharf where they are then transferred via a long pipe into a waiting pen.
- The adult salmon are then grown in net pens located in Akaroa Harbour at Lucas and Titoki Bay, for around 14-16 months. Each pen is 80m circumference, 10m deep, and designed to blend into the environment.
- The salmon are fed 1-3 times each day using a blower feeder. Feed used is certified sustainable and safe. To minimise wastage, an underwater viewing camera suspended 5m below the surface detects uneaten pellets.
- Nets are cleaned monthly using a robotic net cleaner to minimise algae growth. This ensures good water flow to keep all salmon fit and healthy.
- Once the prized salmon are big enough, they are humanely harvested and delivered to the Christchurch factory.
- The premium salmon are processed and then distributed as chilled fresh and smoked products throughout NZ and abroad.
DISCLAIMER ON AVAILABILITY OF PRE-ORDERED ITEMS
This product is classified as a Pre-Ordered Item at The Bow Tie Duck and will only be available while producer from overseas is able to supply and allow air-flown delivery. The Pre-ordered Akaora Salmon also follows a specific shipment schedule that is every other week as compared to other air-flown items on site that are flown in weekly. Shall there be any delivery delay, delivery cancellation, “out of stock” or even “out of season” notice after purchase, you will be contacted by our Support right away. After which, a refund, product replacement, or a delivery delay will be put forth. Upon choosing to order this product, you agree to the terms and have read that the products are not on-hand and require a waiting period in order receive the freshest produce from directly from source.
Fish will arrive to you in designated Styrofoam boxes with shaved ice. Kindly store in your refrigerator as soon as received.
For the best flavor and quality, fish should be prepared for eating the same day it is brought home, but it can be stored for two to three days in a refrigerator at a cool 4°C. You can store fish fillets in airtight bags in the freezer for up to a month. Cooked leftovers should be cooled and refrigerated as soon as possible and consumed within three days.