Black Leg Chicken Red Label
An iconic French chicken
This iconic chicken from France is one of the most flavorful poultry you will ever eat. It’s succulent and soft, and will make you never want supermarket chicken again.
TASTING NOTES FROM THE CURATOR
Otherwise known as Poulet Noir, the Black Leg Chicken is recognizable for its distinct black legs. It has a truly superior flavor, succulent and lean. This chicken is fed a diet of corn, and is raised free range, able to run around in plenty of space. This makes this chicken’s meat rich, lean, juicy, and so flavorful.
PREPARATION AND PAIRINGS
This chicken is ready to cook, so you can cook the Black Leg Chicken Red Label with any chicken recipe. A really simple one will really make this shine. Try a Garlic Herb Butter Chicken for a special dinner.
- Pour melted butter, white wine, olive oil, and some fresh lemon juice all over the Black Leg Chicken, under the skin, and inside its cavity.
- Season the skin and inside the cavity liberally with salt and pepper. Sprinkle some chopped parsley.
- Rub minced garlic all over the chicken. Make sure all the ingredients are mixed well and slathered around and inside the chicken.
- Put a garlic head, some sprig of rosemary, and the squeezed lemon into the cavity of the chicken. Tie the legs together with some kitchen twine.
- Place the chicken onto a foil-lined baking tray breast-side up. Roast in a preheated oven at 400F (200C) for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Baste it halfway through cooking.
- Baste again then let it broil for another 2-3 minutes, until chicken is golden.
THE MARK OF QUALITY
Red Label, or Label Rouge, is a quality assurance sign in France. It’s a certification that products with the label meet a particular set of specifications by the French Ministry of Agriculture. These specifications indicate that the product is not only superior in quality, but is produced in a way that is respectful to both animals and the environment.
Label Rouge poultry, in particular, are required to be reared using traditional and free-range methods.
Store your uncooked Black Leg Chicken Red Label on a low shelf in the refrigerator. Consume within 48 hours.